Hantavirus-Hit Cruise Ship Arrives In Rotterdam For Disinfection After 3 Die In Outbreak



The Dutch-flagged expedition cruise ship MV Hondius was due to arrive in Rotterdam on Monday after a deadly hantavirus outbreak on board.
Dutch authorities prepared isolation facilities for some of the 25 crew members and two medical personnel still aboard the vessel as it completed its journey from the Canary Islands to the Netherlands for disinfection and inspection.
The ship operator, Oceanwide Expeditions, said no one currently on board was showing symptoms.
The outbreak has already spread across multiple countries due to passengers and crew being flown home, prompting international quarantine and monitoring measures across more than 20 countries.
So far, the outbreak has been linked to 11 cases, including nine confirmed and two probable cases. Three people have died, including a Dutch couple and a German national.
One Canadian passenger has also tested positive after leaving the ship, according to Canadian authorities.
Outbreak and Evacuation Timeline
The MV Hondius was carrying around 150 passengers and crew from 23 countries when severe respiratory illnesses were first reported to the World Health Organization on May 2.
The ship was later stopped near Cape Verde after authorities refused permission for passengers to disembark.
The WHO and European Union then coordinated an evacuation through Spain and the Canary Islands.
Passengers were removed in Tenerife using protective equipment and flown to several countries for quarantine.
The ship then continued its journey to Rotterdam with a reduced crew and two medical staff.
World Health Organization’s Response
Health authorities identified the virus as the Andes strain of hantavirus, which is mainly spread by rodents but can rarely spread between humans through close and prolonged contact.
The incubation period can last up to six weeks. Because of this, the World Health Organization has recommended monitoring and quarantining high-risk contacts for up to 42 days.
The WHO has also said the situation is “nothing like COVID” and does not represent a pandemic threat, although more cases could still appear due to the long incubation period.
European health agencies, including the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, said virus samples from the ship showed no meaningful genetic changes or increased transmissibility.
France’s Pasteur Institute also confirmed that sequencing of a virus sample from a French passenger matched known South American strains, with no signs of new or more dangerous features.
Global Quarantine Measures
After leaving the ship, passengers and crew were spread across more than 20 countries for isolation and monitoring.
Some passengers are being treated in specialised infectious disease facilities in the United States. Several individuals are already in quarantine in the Netherlands.
Canadian authorities confirmed at least one positive case among returning passengers
The Dutch health ministry said some crew members who cannot return home will remain in quarantine in the Netherlands. Around two dozen passengers and crew are already being monitored there.
Rotterdam Arrival and Ship Decontamination
Once the MV Hondius arrives in Rotterdam, all remaining crew members and medical staff will disembark under controlled conditions. The vessel will then undergo full decontamination based on Dutch public health guidelines.
Authorities said cleaning teams will be protected in a way that avoids the need for them to enter quarantine after the process.
Health inspectors will check the ship before it is cleared to return to service.
The company operating the vessel, Oceanwide Expeditions, said it does not currently expect changes to its operations and still plans to run an Arctic cruise scheduled to depart from Iceland on May 29.
Cruise Operations Under Watch
Want to read more?
Check out the full article on the original site