4 min readfrom Marine Insight

Iran’s New Hormuz Shipping Authority Launches Official X Account, Declares Unauthorised Transit “Illegal”

Iran’s New Hormuz Shipping Authority Launches Official X Account, Declares Unauthorised Transit “Illegal”
Iran’s New Hormuz Shipping Authority Launches Official X Account, Declares Unauthorised Transit “Illegal”
ships
Image for representation purposes only

Iran has launched a new authority to manage ship traffic through the Strait of Hormuz, signalling that Tehran plans to keep tighter control over one of the world’s most important shipping routes after months of conflict with the United States and Israel.

Iran’s Supreme National Security Council announced the formation of the Persian Gulf Strait Authority (PGSA) on Monday and also launched its official account on X.

In its first post, the authority said it would provide “real-time updates” on operations and developments in the Strait of Hormuz.

The move comes after weeks of disruption in the waterway, which normally carries about one-fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas shipments. Iranian officials have repeatedly said shipping through Hormuz “will not return to its pre-war status”.

The PGSA described itself as the official Iranian authority responsible for managing transit through the Strait of Hormuz.

It also said ships travelling through areas under its control must fully coordinate with Iranian authorities and armed forces, warning that any passage without approval could be considered illegal.

Iranian media previously reported that vessels passing through the strait were already receiving operational rules and guidance from the email address info@pgsa.ir.

The new authority was created after Iran said it had taken full control of the Strait of Hormuz following the conflict that began on February 28 between Iran, the United States and Israel.

A ceasefire later took effect on April 8 through Pakistani mediation, but negotiations have not produced a final agreement.

Iranian parliamentarian Ebrahim Azizi, chairman of parliament’s national security and foreign policy committee, said the new mechanism was developed under Iran’s “national sovereignty”.

He added that only commercial operators cooperating with Iran would benefit from the arrangement.

Azizi also said the route would remain closed to operators linked to the US-led “freedom project”, referring to naval escort operations launched to support commercial shipping during the conflict.

According to a draft bill introduced in Iran’s parliament last month, ships linked to the United States and other countries viewed as hostile by Tehran could face restrictions, while vessels linked to Israel may be completely banned from passing through the strait.

The proposed legislation also includes a toll payment system for ships allowed to transit Hormuz.

Iranian authorities said the money would be used for maritime security, environmental protection and compensation for damage caused during the conflict.

Iranian media reported that shipping traffic through the strait has dropped sharply since the war began, with daily transits falling from around 135 vessels before the conflict to only a limited number of approved passages.

The United States has also continued naval pressure on Iranian maritime operations, including measures targeting Iranian shipping in and around the Strait of Hormuz.

Iran said talks with Washington are still continuing through Pakistani mediation channels. Tehran has continued demanding sanctions relief, access to frozen assets abroad and compensation linked to the conflict.

References: presstv, livemint

Want to read more?

Check out the full article on the original site

View original article

Tagged with

#environmental DNA
#Strait of Hormuz
#Hormuz
#Iran
#shipping
#PGSA
#transit
#unauthorised transit
#Iranian authorities
#shipping route
#real-time updates
#conflict
#maritime
#oil shipments
#control
#armed forces
#operational rules
#Gulf
#ceasefire
#vessels