2 Filipino Seafarers Return Home After Strait Of Hormuz Drone Attack, 5 Crew Still Under Treatment In Oman



Two Filipino seafarers injured in a drone attack on the Malta-flagged container vessel MV San Antonio in the Strait of Hormuz have returned to the Philippines, while five other crew members remain under medical treatment in Oman, Philippine authorities said.
The attack on the commercial vessel has again raised concerns over the safety of ships passing through the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most important shipping routes for oil and global trade.
The seven Filipino crew members were injured after the vessel was hit by a drone on May 5 while transiting the Strait of Hormuz.
According to the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW), the two seafarers arrived at Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3 on May 15 being declared fit to travel following medical treatment in Oman.
DMW Assistant Secretary Jerome Pampolina and director Augusto San Diego III, along with personnel from the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration, welcomed the seafarers at the airport.
The returning crew members also received initial financial assistance from the government.
Philippine Migrant Workers Secretary Hans Leo Cacdac said all seven injured seafarers were now in stable condition.
“The good news is everyone is recuperating,” Cacdac told reporters during a media briefing at Ninoy Aquino International Airport.
He said two additional crew members had been transferred to another hospital in Oman for further treatment but were no longer in danger.
Another seafarer, initially described as the most serious case, had earlier been intubated in intensive care but has since been extubated and is recovering. However, he remains in the ICU.
The remaining injured crew members are also recovering outside intensive care and are expected to be cleared for travel after completing treatment, according to Philippine officials.
The injured seafarers were taken to a hospital in Oman after being extracted from the vessel following the attack.
Philippine authorities said the government was coordinating with the shipowner, manning agency, Philippine embassy and the Migrant Workers Office in Oman to continue assisting the crew members and their families.
The DMW also said some family members may also travel to Oman for compassionate visits while the seafarers continue recovering in hospital.
The repatriation process for the returning seafarers was arranged jointly by the shipowner, the licensed manning agency, the Philippine embassy and the Migrant Workers Office in Oman.
Officials added that all seven injured crew members continue to receive their salaries and family allotments under their contracts during hospitalisation.
The Strait of Hormuz is one of the world’s busiest maritime chokepoints, used by commercial ships and oil tankers moving between the Gulf and global markets.
Recent attacks involving drones and other threats in regional waters have increased security concerns for commercial shipping operating in the area.
Philippine authorities said medical support and assistance for the remaining injured seafarers would continue until they are able to return home.
References: pna, philstar
Want to read more?
Check out the full article on the original site