Oil Spill From Russia-Linked Shadow Fleet Tanker Spreads Off Oman



A tanker linked to Russia’s sanctioned oil trade is leaking crude oil off the coast of Oman, with satellite images showing the spill has spread in recent days.
The Caroline Bezengi loaded Russian crude oil at the Black Sea port of Novorossiysk before leaving on its latest voyage, according to ship-tracking data.
The tanker is under European Union and UK sanctions for its alleged involvement in carrying Russian fuels. Shipping databases list its owner as Shanghai-based Rentoor Shipmanagement.
The vessel first reported problems on June 8 while sailing off the southern Yemeni port of Mukalla, two maritime security sources said. Initial assessments indicated that a blast had occurred onboard.
A satellite image from July 28 showed a dark oil slick near the tanker, along with lighter patches of oil to the north of al-Qibliyyah Island, which is located close to Oman’s coast and is part of a protected marine area.
Wim Zwijnenburg, a remote-sensing specialist with Dutch peace advocacy organisation Pax, said the darker areas visible in the satellite images suggested that at least one of the tanker’s hulls had been breached and that the vessel was leaking crude oil.
He added that the region’s monsoon season, which usually reaches its peak in July and August, could bring severe weather conditions that may spread the oil further.
Reuters verified that the vessel seen in the latest satellite imagery was the Caroline Bezengi by comparing its deck structures and paint markings with previous images of the tanker.
An oil tanker specialist who reviewed the satellite images said the vessel appeared to be listing. Other maritime sources warned that the tanker could break apart at some point.
The International Maritime Organization (IMO) said the tanker had not broken up and that authorities were continuing discussions on how to address safety and environmental risks.
“At present the vessel is not broken up. Discussions by authorities are ongoing on addressing safety and environmental risks,” an IMO spokesperson said earlier this week, adding that the organisation was monitoring the situation closely.
Oman’s Transport, Communications and IT Ministry did not respond to a request for comment. Rentoor Shipmanagement could not be reached for comment.
It is not clear whether the damage from the blast was caused by a possible attack by Ukraine, which has targeted Russian-linked tankers, or was connected to the wider conflict in the Middle East.
The tanker’s condition, the cause of the damage and the impact of the oil spill remain under monitoring as authorities assess the safety and environmental risks.
References: Reuters, Newarab
Want to read more?
Check out the full article on the original site