3 min readfrom Marine Insight

MSC Baltic III Being Pulled Ashore In Newfoundland After Grounding In February 2025

MSC Baltic III Being Pulled Ashore In Newfoundland After Grounding In February 2025
MSC Baltic III Being Pulled Ashore In Newfoundland After Grounding In February 2025
msc baltic III
Image Credits: Canadian Coast Guard

Salvage crews have started pulling the grounded MSC Baltic III toward shore near Wild Cove in Newfoundland and Labrador, moving the wreck removal operation into its next stage.

The pulling operation began on July 31 and the vessel has moved some distance toward shore, the Canadian Coast Guard said in its latest update on Aug. 6. The process is expected to be slow, and the wreck will be dismantled as it is brought ashore.

The work began after the vessel’s superstructure was deconstructed and its cargo was removed. Of the 472 containers that were on board, 471 have been taken off the ship.

One damaged container could not be safely removed and is expected to remain with the wreck until it reaches shore.

The MSC Baltic III ran aground near Wild Cove on the west coast of Newfoundland in February 2025 after losing power during severe weather. All 20 crew members were safely evacuated by helicopter.

The ship later became firmly stuck against the shoreline and suffered extensive structural damage. The response has since involved cargo removal, dismantling and a wreck-removal operation.

Resolve Marine, which was hired by MSC to remove the wreck, started dismantling the vessel in June with support from the barge MM Newfoundland.

Crews spent several weeks preparing for the pulling operation. This included installing chains and chain pullers and building or improving road access to the site.

The wreck will continue to be dismantled as it is pulled toward and onto the shore.

The Canadian Coast Guard said the safety of workers and protection of the marine environment remain the main priorities.

Most of the bulk fuel has been removed from the MSC Baltic III, but some residual fuel remains on board.

Pollution-response measures are in place in case there is a release during the pulling operation.

Shoreline monitoring is also continuing when conditions allow. The Coast Guard said small quantities of tar balls and oily debris are still being found and removed.

Earlier in the operation, hydrogen sulfide linked to submerged containers was also detected. Specialists monitored air conditions and crews took additional safety measures. Authorities said the hazard did not pose a risk to the public.

The Canadian Coast Guard has asked the public to stay away from the MSC Baltic III work site while the pulling and dismantling operations continue.

People in the area have also been asked to follow restrictions and directions from local authorities and response teams.

The Coast Guard continues to oversee the response, including pollution monitoring and the review of MSC’s wreck-removal plans.

The pulling operation is expected to continue slowly, with the wreck being dismantled as it comes ashore. Monitoring for pollution will continue while residual fuel remains on the vessel.

Reference: Canadian Coast Guard

Want to read more?

Check out the full article on the original site

View original article

Tagged with

#MSC Baltic III
#grounding
#Newfoundland
#Wild Cove
#salvage
#wreck removal
#cargo removal
#dismantling
#Canadian Coast Guard
#Resolve Marine
#MM Newfoundland
#shoreline
#structural damage
#pollution response
#bulk fuel
#tar balls
#oily debris
#hydrogen sulfide
#marine environment
#container