5 min readfrom Marine Insight

Iran-Oman Talks On Hormuz Route Nears Final Stage But U.S Must Remove Blockade, Tehran Says

Iran-Oman Talks On Hormuz Route Nears Final Stage But U.S Must Remove Blockade, Tehran Says
Iran-Oman Talks On Hormuz Route Nears Final Stage But U.S Must Remove Blockade, Tehran Says
strait of hormuz
Image for representation purposes only

Iran said on Sunday that a deal with Oman on new shipping routes through the Strait of Hormuz was in its final stages, but the waterway would not fully reopen until the United States met additional conditions set by Tehran.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said the deal would set new shipping routes through the strait once the conditions were met. He said the talks with Oman did not mean the Strait of Hormuz would fully reopen.

The waterway carried about a fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas shipments before Iran blocked it in response to U.S. and Israeli attacks.

A U.S. official told Reuters on Friday that an agreement between Iran and Oman was close and could soon lead to the reopening of the waterway.

Iran and US not holding direct talks

Araqchi said Iran and the United States were not holding direct talks. Messages were being exchanged through intermediaries, he said.

Iran would not return to negotiations while Washington continued to violate an interim agreement signed in June, Araqchi added.

U.S. President Donald Trump told Axios that the United States was “low-keying” its engagement with Iran.

“We are only semi-negotiating with them. We are just watching Iran with its huge inflation and the fact they have no money,” Trump said.

The United States began air strikes on Iran in late February, saying it wanted to prevent the country from acquiring nuclear weapons or threatening the region with missiles or proxies.

The two countries agreed to a ceasefire in June. Washington later reimposed a blockade on Iranian shipping in the Gulf in July. Tehran said that action violated the truce, which had already broken down.

A U.S. official said Washington would lift the blockade of Iranian ports once a deal was announced to restore commercial shipping without impediments. U.S. actions would depend on Iran carrying out its commitments, the official said.

Sources had previously told Reuters that the emerging arrangement appeared likely to give Tehran control over ships entering the Gulf through the Strait of Hormuz. Shippers said such a system would be difficult to operate.

Iran demands compensation and end to sanctions

Araqchi said Iran’s reopening of the Strait of Hormuz would depend on several conditions, including compensation from the United States for what Tehran describes as widespread attacks.

Mohammad Baqer Zolqadr, secretary of Iran’s top national security body, listed other demands. These included an end to U.S. threats against Iran, an end to what Tehran describes as aggression against Iran and its Lebanese, Palestinian, Yemeni and Iraqi allies, the lifting of the blockade and sanctions on Iran, and the release of Iranian assets.

Ultimate decision-making in Iran rests with Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei, who has not been seen in public since an air strike killed his father and predecessor on Feb. 28, the first day of U.S.-Israeli air strikes on Iran.

Iranian state media said on Sunday that President Masoud Pezeshkian had met Khamenei in late July. A paramilitary leader also promised footage showing the supreme leader in public.

Khamenei was reportedly injured in the strike that killed his father.

The United Arab Emirates said on Saturday that Iran had attacked a ship linked to its state oil company. Iran did not immediately comment.

Iran’s powerful Revolutionary Guards have attacked ships in the past, saying the vessels had not coordinated their passage through the Strait of Hormuz with Iran.

The Houthis declared a naval blockade against Saudi Arabia in the Red Sea last month. They said the move was in response to what they called a Saudi siege on them in Yemen. Riyadh denied the allegation.

Houthis claim attack on Saudi Aramco refinery

The Houthis said on Sunday that they had attacked Saudi Aramco’s Jazan refinery with a drone.

The attack came two days after Saudi Arabia signed a defence pact with Turkey and Pakistan amid growing regional instability linked to the U.S.-Israeli war on Iran.

Saudi Arabia’s energy ministry said a fire had broken out at the refinery but was later extinguished. No injuries were reported. Authorities were dealing with the incident, the ministry said, without giving a cause.

Houthi military spokesperson Yahya Saree said the group had used a drone to target the refinery. The Houthis have previously attacked Aramco sites in Jazan.

The Jazan refinery processes 400,000 barrels of crude oil a day in southwestern Saudi Arabia.

Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said the new alliance was not aimed at Iran or any other country. He described it as a general commitment to support security.

The allies would decide through consultations what level, form and format of support they would seek if an attack occurred, Fidan said.

References: Reuters, Times Now

Want to read more?

Check out the full article on the original site

View original article

Tagged with

#Strait of Hormuz
#Iran
#Oman
#Shipping Routes
#Blockade
#United States
#Tehran
#Negotiations
#Oil
#Liquefied Natural Gas
#Gulf
#Interim Agreement
#Nuclear Weapons
#Missiles
#Proxy
#Air Strikes
#Ceasefire
#Commercial Shipping
#Inflation
#Intermediaries