Houthis Claim Strike On Saudi Military Transport Vessel In Red Sea



Yemen’s Houthis on Wednesday claimed responsibility for new attacks on Saudi targets, including a military transport vessel in the Red Sea and military positions in Yemen.
In a statement, the group’s military spokesperson said Houthi forces had targeted Saudi troop concentrations, weapons depots and command centres in the Mocha area and the Tadawin camp in Marib Governorate using ballistic missiles and drones.
The Houthis said the attacks caused dozens of casualties, including Saudis, although the claims could not be independently verified based on the information available.
The group said it would continue operations against Saudi troop concentrations, accusing them of trying to escalate the conflict and take control of Yemen.
The Houthis also warned people they accused of cooperating with their opponents to stop what they described as acts of treason.
The latest claims come just days after at least six people were killed in a missile attack on the cargo vessel Tihamah in the Bab al-Mandeb Strait, one of the busiest shipping routes linking the Red Sea with the Gulf of Aden.
According to Yemen’s Ministry of Transport, the Houthis fired three ballistic missiles at the food-carrying vessel.
The attack started a fire that killed four crew members, three from Pakistan and one from Indonesia, and injured four other crew members and a rescue worker.
The ministry said the vessel was struck again after search and rescue operations had already begun, describing the second strike as an attempt to endanger everyone onboard, including rescue teams.
The Yemeni Coast Guard later confirmed that two of the victims were rescue workers.
There was also confusion over the ownership of the vessel.
Yemeni officials and marine intelligence firm Marisks initially reported that the ship was Saudi-owned.
However, ship-tracking data from MarineTraffic later showed that Tihamah was sailing under the Tanzanian flag and was owned by companies registered in Egypt and Yemen.
Yemen’s internationally recognised government has vowed to respond.
Rashad al-Alimi, chairman of the Presidential Leadership Council, said no Houthi action would go unanswered, according to Al Jazeera, which cited Yemen’s SABA news agency.
Al-Alimi also called on the Houthis to end the fighting, lay down their weapons and join the country’s political process.
The latest developments also follow a Houthi missile and drone attack on the Red Sea port of Al-Mokha in southwestern Yemen on Aug. 9.
The port is located in an area controlled by Yemen’s internationally recognised government, according to Al Jazeera, which cited Yemen Today TV and state-run Saba TV.
Following that attack, Houthi spokesperson Yahya Saree said the group’s forces had carried out what he described as a large-scale and precise operation against the strategic maritime facility.
References: thehindubusinessline, news18
Want to read more?
Check out the full article on the original site