U.S Rejects Reports Of Deaths, Rising Suicide Attempts, Mental Health Crisis Aboard USS Abraham Lincoln



The U.S. military has denied reports that sailors died in a fight aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln or that the aircraft carrier has seen a rise in suicidal thoughts and attempts during its long deployment in the Middle East.
U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) said on Thursday that recent reports about deaths and mental health problems among the crew were false. It said no service member aboard the carrier has died during the deployment and that a sailor who fell overboard on Aug. 3 was quickly and safely rescued.
The USS Abraham Lincoln has been deployed since Nov. 21, 2025. The carrier was sent to the Middle East after the Israel-Iran war began on Feb. 28 and has since taken part in combat operations and the U.S. military’s blockade of Iranian ports.
CENTCOM said the carrier has now spent more than 260 days at sea, carried out 10,000 aircraft flights and used 1.5 million pounds of ordnance.
The command also said the ship has an 84.4% crew reenlistment rate, among the highest for U.S. Navy aircraft carriers. It said the sailors and Marines of the Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group remain “resilient and resolved.”
Navy denies rise in suicide concerns
The military’s statement came after media reports raised concerns about the crew’s mental health and morale.
Military Times reported an interview with a Navy spouse whose husband allegedly tried to jump overboard from the Lincoln. Another military spouse said her husband intervened in a separate incident.
The Navy said it had “not identified” an increase in reported suicidal ideation or suicide attempts aboard the carrier.
“We know that extended deployments place a significant strain on our service members and their families,” Navy officials said, adding that the service takes the wellbeing of its personnel seriously.
The Navy said sailors have access to counselors, chaplains, fleet and family support services and medical professionals.
Families raise concerns about conditions
Military families have also raised concerns about conditions aboard the carrier.
At a San Diego town hall last week, about 200 relatives spoke with Acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao about the impact of the deployment. One family member accused Navy leadership of damaging trust.
California Congressman Mike Levin also said in a post on X that sailors were dealing with mouldy showers and food shortages.
Another media outlet reported similar concerns, including mould in showers, food shortages, broken air-conditioning units and a lack of clean water.
The Navy rejected those claims, saying sailors have continuous access to clean water, working air conditioning and healthy meals.
Mail deliveries disrupted
The Navy has acknowledged problems with mail deliveries during the deployment.
Officials said traditional supply hubs in the Middle East were disrupted by combat operations during the Iran war. As a result, the Navy said it prioritised supplies in the following order: food, hygiene items and then mail.
In April, USA Today reported a photograph shared by a sailor showing a meal that included boiled carrots, a dry meat patty and processed meat.
The outlet also reported delays in care packages and other mail from families because of postal-service disruptions linked to the war.
The Navy has disputed that reporting.
Lawmakers seek answers
The prolonged deployment has also drawn attention from lawmakers.
Senator Richard Blumenthal, a Democrat from Connecticut, sent a letter to Pentagon and Navy officials on Wednesday seeking information about quality-of-life problems, morale and safety aboard the carrier.
He also questioned how the Navy would sustain the carrier strike group if its deployment continued for another year or two.
“The Lincoln’s extended deployment raises broader questions about the Navy’s ability to sustainably generate carrier forces while preserving service member well-being, maintenance schedules, fleet readiness, and the capacity to respond to future contingencies,” Blumenthal wrote.
References: US CENTCOM, NDTV
Want to read more?
Check out the full article on the original site